OnlineJobs.ph

Friday, March 20, 2015

AQUINO BLAMES NAPEÑAS; BINAY BLAMES ROXAS


THE Vice President says” My only mistake is that I declared to run for president in 2016 too early,” Binary told media at the Ortega Sports Complex in San Fernando City, after meeting with San Mayor Pablo Ortega of San Fernando, La Union Rep. Eufranio Eriguel and his wife, Agoo Mayor Sandra Eriguel, Luna Mayor Vic Marron, and others. 

This is the Vice President’s pretense:” I thought politics was clean, but it isn’t.” 

Typically, Binay denies all accusations against him, and stresses that when he was mayor, Makati became one of the country’s most progressive cities, a record of governance that qualifies him to be the next president.

Going all the way, Binary says: “Mar Roxas is behind the investigations at the Senate and the Ombudsman.” The Ombudsman, not the DILG Secretary has ordered the Vice President’s son, Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr., suspended over graft allegations. Jun-Jun has been holed up in the city hall in defiance of the order.

Jun-Jun, too, has blamed Roxas for what the Binays say is the persecution of the Binary family.

***

Mean while, President Benigno Aquino III is also under attack. The President was “disingenuous” in his explanation regarding his involvement in the deadly Mamasapano operation for 44 SAF policemen according to the party-list group Bagong
Alyansang Makabayan. “The problem with starting out with a lie is that you end up spinning more lies. The lies have become never-ending,” says Bayan secretary general Renato Reyes Jr. after Aquino explained for the third time his role in the mission that resulted in the death of 44 police commandos.

“The gist of the President’s speech was that it was all Napeñas’ fault,” Reyes said.

“It was Napeñas who misled the President. It was Napeñas who failed to coordinate,” Reyes says.

Reyes said the timing of Aquino remarks last Monday was meant to “preempt whatever results that would be borne out of the Board of Inquiry investigation.”

Opposition leader and Navotas Rep. Toby Tiangco said Aquino’s remarks pre-empted the findings of the BOI and only cleared himself and his “best friend” Purisima.

“Can we expect the BOI members to say otherwise when the President absolved himself of any blame, barely mentioned his BFF Purisima, and dumped the blame on Napeñas?” Tiangco asks.

Actually, the BOI Report by Presidential appointees has been well-received as being as fair as could be expected in ruling critical of a sitting president.

Aquino made the remark on the same day the PNP BOI announced that they would have to postpone the release of the investigation because of the voluminous documents regarding the case.

“[But] the President hardly even mentioned Purisima,” Reyes said, noting that a Senate investigation showed that Purisima was directly reporting to the President and “advising” Napeñas who claimed he was following orders from Purisima who had already been suspended.

Aquino also “failed to explain why he himself did not inform his other officials of the sensitive operation” when he, “as commander-in-chief, was in a position to inform the AFP and the PNP leadership as well as the government peace panel.”

“Mr. President, the people are not satisfied with your latest, self-serving statements,” Reyes says.

At the Senate, Senator JV Ejercito said Aquino’s explanation is “unbelievable” because the President has the luxury of confirming all the information being given to him by Napeñas when he is surrounded by security experts.

“If you are the commander in chief, why would you rely on one person if you have the luxury of getting access to info from all top officials with you the whole day. It’s hard to believe because everybody was there. They were with him the whole day,” Ejercito says.

Turning combative in the face of stinging rebuke over the Mamasapano tragedy, President Aquino warned detractors against derailing his reform agenda and endangering the Filipino people.

Speaking at the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) graduation ceremony in Baguio City, the President said he was ready to hold a sober dialogue with the enemies of his reform program but would not hesitate to run over them if they continue with their ways.

“Kung handa kayong makipag-usap nang sinsero, bukas ang estado sa isang risonable at tapat na diyalogo. Pero kung patuloy ninyong ilalagay sa peligro ang sambayanan, hindi kami mag-aatubiling sagasaan kayo (If you are ready to hold a sincere dialogue, the state is open to a reasonable and honest dialogue. But if you will continue to put people at risk, we will not hesitate to run over you),” Aquino said at the graduation rites for the 172-strong Sinaglahi Class of 2015.

The President said he was proud that the country’s situation has vastly improved since he assumed office in 2010, citing the robust economic growth and anti-corruption efforts, among other reforms. Aquino said only those playing blind and deaf are the ones who do not feel the changes in society.

“At hindi naman sa pagbubuhat ng bangko, pero ngayon pa lang, masasabi nating higit na maganda ang kalagayan ng bansa kumpara sa ating dinatnan. Nilinis natin ang burukrasya, tinugis ang mga tiwali, pinasigla ang ekonomiya, at nagbukas tayo ng mga bagong pinto ng oportunidad para sa ating mga kababayan (Modesty aside, we can now say the country is now in a better position compared to what we inherited. We cleaned up the bureaucracy, prosecuted the corrupt, strengthened the economy, and opened opportunities for our people),” Aquino said.

“Ang dating tinatawag na Sick Man of Asia, sa kauna-unahang pagkakataon ay investment-grade status na (Formerly known as the Sick Man of Asia, the country is now investment-grade status for the first time in history),” he added.

Aquino highlighted the country’s improving employment figures, better social services as well as the modernization program of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) during his term.

“Kamakailan lang, natanggap natin ang balitang nasa 1.04 million ang nadagdag sa bilang ng mga Pilipinong may hanapbuhay. Katumbas ito ng pagbaba ng unemployment rate sa 6.6 percent ngayong Enero mula sa 7.5 percent sa kaparehong panahon noong 2014 (Recently, we received the news that 1.04 million Filipinos now have jobs. This is equal to the reduction of the unemployment rate of 6.6 percent to January from 7.5 percent in the same period in 2014),” Aquino said.

The President called on the fresh batch of PMA graduates to live up to their class name by using their skill and strength to defend and protect the nation. Sinaglahi is coined from the words: “Sundalong May Angking Galing at Lakas, Handang Ipaglaban ang Bayan.”

“Ang hamon sa inyong mga magsisipagtapos: Ipagpatuloy ang magandang nasimulan ng mga nauna sa inyo upang hindi masayang ang kanilang ginawang sakripisyo at malasakit sa bayan (The challenge to the graduates: Continue the good things initiated by those ahead of you to nsure their sacrifices are not in vain],” he said.

***

Instead of arguing with the BOI on the Mamasapano probe, President Aquino should follow the “dictate of statesmanship” and apologize for the shortcomings the probe body claimed he has committed, Magdalo party-list Rep. Ashley Acedillo, an ally of the chief executive, said yesterday.

“Indeed, there is no law asking him to apologize but that is the dictate of statesmanship. We hope the President will not consider it an act of disparagement but a means to increase public respect on the President because he is able to accept responsibility for what happened,” Acedillo said in a radio interview..

He said an apology would demonstrate a high level of statesmanship, such as was shown by former President, now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, in response for calls for her resignation during her term as president.

A member of the military group that organized the Oakwood mutiny against the past government, Acedillo said Aquino has become the target of public criticism because he tried to wash his hands of all responsibility in the tragic PNP operations for the capture of Muslim terrorists.

Acedillo, who helped lead a military uprising against the Arroyo administration, chided Aquino and Justice Secretary Leila de Lima for rejecting the BOI findings which said Aquino violated the PNP chain of command in the planning and implementation of Oplan Exodus, that resulted in the death of 44 members of the PNP Special Action Force in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.

***

Readers who missed a column can access www.duckyparedes.com/blogs. This is updated daily. Your reactions are always welcome.

No comments: