Sunday, March 29, 2015

We understand


By Ellen Tordesillas  
Malaya Business Insight
Noynoy-PMA-Class-2015IN his speech at the commencement exercises of the Philippine National Police Academy’s Lakandula Class of 2015, the day after the nation marked the second month of the Mamasapano tragedy, President Aquino tried to justify his much-denounced absence at the Villamor Air Base on Jan.29, 2016 when the remains of the 44 members of the Special Action Force arrived. (He preferred to be at the Mitsubishi Motors launch in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.)
He said: “I am saddened by the fact that, despite my effort to give the families space to grieve, as they were to meet their fallen loved ones for the first time, some people found fault in this by calling me cruel or without regard for such loss. My intention was to help them heal. I wanted to have clear answers should I be asked, ‘What happened? Why did they die? What will happen to us now?’ If my response was ‘I do not know,’ how could I help hasten the healing? I am also saddened that our peace process has been affected by the sentiments connected to the result of Oplan Exodus. To every Filipino who has felt failure or has been hurt because of the events related to this operation: It is with the abiding humility that I ask for your deepest understanding.”
I’m sorry, Mr. President. I don’t buy this thing about wanting to give the families “space to grieve.”
You thought that the people’s outrage over the bungling of the Mamasapano operation would die down after a few days. You never imagined that it would last this long and that’s because of your post-tragedy actions and statements.
You are not sorry for your mistakes. You are only compelled to seek for the people are “understanding” because your approval and trust ratings drastically dropped.
This is all about saving yourself and your presidency.
That’s what we understand.
***
Reactions to the PNoy-Kris Aquino text exchanges which was posted by the presidential sister herself in her Instagram last Tuesday to disprove rumors that Aquino collapsed last Friday showed the Filipinos’ terrific creativity and sense of humor.
Saxnviolins, a regular visitor in my blog, came up with this imaginary script between the President and relieved SAF Director Getulio Napeñas, Jr.. It’s hilarious:
Noy to Napeñas: I have tampo to you. You did not make me pansin. I said coordinate.
Napeñas to Noy: I did. I made hingi artillery and Hueys. You have atraso to me. You ordered tayo baba.
Noy to Napeñas: What tayo baba?
Napeñas to Noy: Stand down. What’s wrong with your Tagalog?
Noy to Napeñas: You made loko to me. You and Allan.
Napeñas to Noy: You made loko to us. You said proceed, but you made areglo with those war freaks.
Noy to Napeñas: You made sabotahe my Nobel Peace Prize.
Napeñas to Noy: Make asa pa you. Didn’t you make basa that Pope Francis is a nominee?
Noy to Napeñas: I can make talo him. He is a war freak. He said he will make suntok whoever insults his mother.
Napeñas to Noy: Asa pa you again. You are a gun freak. How can you win the Nobel?
Noy to Napeñas: You do not make basa history. How about Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat?
Napeñas to Noy: Good you made banggit Arafat. You should make takip your kalbo like him.
Noy to Napeñas: No need. I have new syota. She likes me like this.
Napeñas to Noy: Poor taste that girl.
Noy to Napeñas: Damn you’re so inggit.
My friend, Ayette Ostrea, said she read the text exchanges between Pnoy and Kris aloud to her husband, Noel, complete with “affected intonation.”
Imagine Ayette reading:
Magnanakaw1: Holdap, make bigay all your thingies. Don’t make galaw or I will make tusok u!
Magnanakaw2: Make suko, we made u napaligiran.
Impeachement trial: I’m so asar. I’m galit na to u.
Karpentero: Can I hammer na the pokpok?
Ayette said, “Noel was laughing. My son now confirms that his parents are crazy.”
***
Blog:www.ellentordesillas.com
E-mail:ellentordesillas@gmail.com

No comments: