Tuesday, December 20, 2011

FPJ’s family wants him proclaimed President


By Caroline J. Howard

ANC
MANILA, Philippines – The family of Fernando Poe Jr. is hoping that the late King of Philippine Movies will still be proclamed winner of the 2004 presidential elections, 7 years after his death.
“Maraming bagay na dapat iwasto. My personal feelings aside, I don’t want to badmouth anyone. Masakit ang pakiramdam. I doubt how we can trust the next election.”
“It’s something that has to be set right. I don’t know how they’re going to do it if ever. Ipokrita ako kung sasabihin kong hindi (ko hinihintay na maproklama siya). I wish it for those who supported him wholeheartedly,” said FPJ’s widow, Susan Roces, on Mornings@ANC.
“Iwasto ang kasaysayan. Iyan ang gusto nating mangyari, kahit man lamang malamang na may nandaya,” added FPJ’s daughter, Grace Poe-Llamanzares.
FPJ died 7 months after Gloria Arroyo was declared the winner of the 2004 presidential elections.
Despite her initial objections to his decision to run for the highest post of the land, Roces said she supported his choice, which came with the purest of intentions.
“He strongly felt we have to give back and I shared that with him that’s why I was eager for him to run as well,” she said. “It was part of our retirement years that we had to offer to those who supported ours in our careers.”
Today, they said, there are things they would’ve done differently during the hotly contested election.
“With what happened, it’s greed I see, a greed for power and material returns. It’s sad but it was a learning experience,” Roces said, adding people needed to continue help their leaders.
“We install our leaders but are complacent. We have to inspire our leaders. I think our President is trying his best.”
Still lucky
Amid ongoing investigations into the 2004 and 2007 elections, Roces and Poe-Llamanzares said Arroyo is still lucky to receive lenient treatment from government compared to what former President Joseph Estrada received when he was forced out of the Palace in 2001.
“They were making backdoor negotiations, telling him to leave the country and not answer for his crimes, the crimes they said he committed. Whereas this government is saying: ‘stay in the country, we’ll treat you with utmost fairness.’ I think theres a world of difference,” Llamanzares said.
“Maybe the situation is different because she’s a woman and claims to be sick.”
Living with pain
Roces revealed that she suffers from a similar condition as Arroyo — a degenerative ailment of the spinal disc, but opted to forego medical procedure that she found too dangeroud because of the risk of paralysis.
“I have the same ailment I’ve had it for years, mine is in the 4th or 5th vertebrae. It’s a degenerative ailment of the disc. It’s rather uncomfortable but I’ve learned to live with pain. I just have to wear a brace. In fairness to Mrs. Arroyo, hers is in the neck which affects the arms.”
Roces said she pities Arroyo, who made a scene when she attempted to catch a flight to Singapore on November 15.
“The sight in the airport cast a doubt in my mind… I found it a little over in costuming, the way she was garbed…” Roces said. “I wouldn’t want my grandchildren to achieve power in that manner. Nakakaawa makita ang isang tao who has to go through all of that.”
“She’s very lucky we are near Christmas. Nobody wants to wish anyone ill.”
Seven years since FPJ died, Grace Poe-Llamanzares said the Aquino administration is a golden opportunity to correct history and restore credibility in Philippine elections.
“Our family feels we have this opportune moment to uncover the truth more freely because its allowed in this environment, We thank the President for the transparency he’s setting. Just recently with the arrest of Mrs. Arroyo. Let’s look deeper into what happened in 2004 and hopefully the government will aid us in that.” Poe-Llamanzares said.
Roces and Poe-LLamanzares said she has no regrets over supporting her husband’s election campaign.
“Was it worth it for my dad to run? If for anything for us to make better our system of elections, think it was all worth it.”
Remembering FPJ
As FPJ’s family prepares to mark his seventh death anniversary on December 14, they remember the man’s life and his legacy, but the thought of possibly becoming the country’s first family was farthest from their mind when privacy was a luxury.
“That never crossed my mind,” Roces said.
“Mrs. Marcos was very active in the movie industry during their term. It’s a kind of situation people like us who value our privacy wouldn’t want to be in. Being in the limelight as celebrities in the movie industry, were more comfortable in the movie industry because we are not answerable to all the money they can spend, we can buy anything without having to explain anything what’s the source. Hindi ko pinangarap yan, hindi yan pinangarap ni FPJ.”
“It’ difficult enough being able to live up to the daughter of the King of Philippine Movies, I find it a challenge everyday, what more if they were in office,” added Poe-Llamanzares. “I would consider it more of a responsibility.”
Poe-Llamanzares, who is also chairperson of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) said she’s thankful for the opportunity to serve the movie industry.
Roces admitted that losing FPJ was difficult, something she has managed to accept only in recent years.
“I’ve been married for 30 years. When your partner dies, part of you dies.”
“It’s only now that I realize he’s gone. The earlier years kept me busy attending to responsibilities… We were looking forward to having our time to ourselves. Part of my life is gone. The first year after Ronnie passed away. I couldn’t go to the grocery… I’d pick the clothes for my husband… There’s no one else I’d shop for… part of my life is gone.”
Roces admitted that the month of December is a particularly nostalgic month for her personally.
“December is a very important month for me. It was on December 16 that we eloped, and the 25th of December that we got married in church and his death anniversary is the 14th. So the cure for that is work. I’m working.”
Roces is currently working on “Walang Hanggan” with ABS-CBN, which is considered as a remake of the classic “Hihintayin Kita sa Langit.”

No comments: