Saturday, September 27, 2014

ON 'HOOLIGAN' INCIDENT | An Isko's take: Abad and the nature of struggle for change

By: Juan Carlo Castro, Contributor
InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5
(Editor’s note: This piece is from Juan Carlo Castro’s Facebook post. He gave InterAksyon.com permission to re-post it. Juan Carlo Castro describes himself as “a humanist and a lover of knowledge, wisdom, and dogs. He has been a scholar of the state for ten years, and a player of Civilization for 18.”)
There are many who have turned the issue of Abad’s mishandling into a false dichotomy. Many ask: Is it now better to steal billions from millions of the poorest than to respond in aggression from the outrage it has caused? The answer, obviously, is no. That does not, however, by any means, justify attacking the man, or even attempting to do so. We live in a society of civility. Laws may change time to time, but the fundamental principle of rights must always remain. We cannot demand that we be guaranteed our rights when we would be so eager to trample upon those of others.
I do not defend Abad, or any other politician. As most, I am equally appalled and disgusted at their actions. However, I do not believe in stooping down to their level. These men deal in filth and violence. These men have caused many to starve, suffer, and die. Do these men deserve violence? In my opinion, absolutely. But that is not my decision to make. That is not my right to judge. That is not my right to enforce.
I may not have faith in the justice system of our country. But I do believe in justice. If these dirty men of the government taint the system with their manipulation, then it is the duty of the good, the brave, and the willing to purge these elements to restore the values of our justice system. You do not clean mud with grease. You must hold yourself to a higher standard in order to bring true and lasting change for the betterment of man.
Politicians have “earned” their positions of power through votes. I still believe that only through the democratic process can we triumph over the infestation of corruption in the government. Yes, millions of voters are ignorant. Yes, many of them will vote for whoever gives them a basket of instant noodles or a basketball court. But it is the same democracy that also offers us the opportunity to create change without bloodshed. It shall be a long and hard struggle to win the hearts and minds of these voters. But you cannot win their hearts and minds by stooping down to the level of those you resent so much. They will play dirty. It is up to you to keep yourself without a stain of the same filth as them, and let the world see.
If we choose to play their game and move to defeat them at it, it is the sad reality that it will take time. This battle may not be won within our lifetimes, and perhaps it is this thought that moves so many to violence. But if we take a look at revolutions born of haste and violence -- Stalin, Mao, and countless others -- did they really bring about the utopia they promised?
When I was eight years old, my teacher asked us what the colors in our flag represented. I eagerly raised my hand for the red color. Katapangan, as I smiled, proud of myself. She replied, close but not quite. Kagitingan. I was dismayed, but forever shall I be thankful for my teacher who engrained into my heart that there lies a difference. Katapangan means I fear not killing a man. Kagitingan means I fear not dying for a man.
Let us put ourselves into a grander perspective. Yes, let us never forget those who have suffered and died under the illnesses of our society today and in the past. But let us not give way to compromise. Let us not exchange one evil for another. For each million that had suffered in the past, ten million yet unborn will suffer in the future if we fool ourselves into folly that the new will be better than the old without keeping ourselves to a much higher standard.

No comments: